Some resources on governance:
Note: Alban.org has recently closed their site. Some articles may be available by searching for the title and/or author on Bing.com or Google.com.
- Doing Good Better!: How to Be an Effective Board Member of a Nonprofit Organization — this is currently out of print, though new copies are available at a significant discount, as are used copies.
The Art of Governance – a short article on the role of governance in congregations
- Outline of the concepts
- Governance and Ministry: Rethinking Board Leadership (applies more to large congregations, > 250 members)
- Weeds in the Garden – CPA Verne Hargrave
- Conflicts of Interest – Dan Hotchkiss
Boards That Make a Difference: A New Design for Leadership in Nonprofit and Public Organizations (J-B Carver Board Governance) – the Carver model is a useful example, but not the only model of governance desireable or possible in congregations
Basic Principles of Policy Governance by John Carver and Miriam Mayhew Carver (1996) – a simpler introduction to the Carver model.
Who Runs the Church?: 4 Views on Church Government – to compare and contrast other religious groups and how their organizational structure and assumptions may differ (members may bring these assumptions with them)
Harvest the Power – a workshop on lay leadership that could be adapted
UUA: The Congregational Handbook – many resources within a UU context
In this section:
- Functions of an Ethical Society
- Governance – Readings
- Size and Shape of Governance
- Society Governance – Considerations